Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Homework: due Tuesday 2/23 (EXTENDED)


1. Write a list of the 5 things in life that you are most certain of. This list should appear as a comment under this post. Please stick with “I know that…” statements and avoid “I know how…” statements in your response.


2. Comment on one of another student’s statements, answering the question “How does he/she know?” For example, you could write: Mr. Zeichner knows that he has ten fingers because he sees them with his eyes every day. In other words, his senses tell him that they are there.

To post a comment, you can click on the title of this post ("Homework:due Thursday 2/11) OR click on the little link below the post where it say's the number of comments ("5 Comments")

Side note: today’s activity in class was not about the finished product (your poster); it was about the process. If your group did not finish the poster completely, that is OKAY. What is important, though, is that you learned from your discussion and deliberation. Make sure that you have recorded your thoughts in your journal.

26 comments:

  1. 1. I know that I learned the Preamble to the Constitution from School House Rock.

    2. I know that the snooze button on my alarm lasts 10 minutes.

    3. I know that John F. Kennedy was assassinated in November of 1963.

    4. I know that the scars on my ankles are from having blood drawn as a baby.

    5. I know that the Harry Potter series has 7 books and will have 8 movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I know that I love my family.

    2. I know that I am good at math.

    3. I know that Megan Fox is hot!

    4. I know that I love football.

    5. I know that I love shopping

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathryn knows that John F. Kennedy was assassinated in November of 1963 because her sense perception and language. She was probably told by many of her history teachers that fact and read a lot of history books that stated the same fact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. I know that I want to be an OB/GYN by the time I reach my thirties.
    2. I know that all enzymes are proteins in biology.
    3. I know that the love that I have for my family is unconditional.
    4. I know that this month is Black History Month.
    5. I know that the Holy Bible consist of two testaments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For Peter to know that Megan Fox is indeed "hot" draws a question for me. Who taught him what beautiful, hot, pretty, gorgeous, and etc. looks like. Peter could have learned such a thing from society, his parents, his friends, and so on. But, if I were to attempt to categorize such a way of knowing that Megan Fox is "hot" I'd put it under sense perception. Peter looks at young ladies and women all day, everyday every time his eyes sense and calculate their measure of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I know that flowers are pretty.
    2. I know that my dog will bark when a person walks by.
    3. I know that my natural hair color is brown.
    4. I know that I am the tallest person in my family.
    5. I know that todays (2/10/10) bus transfer is a green X.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 01. I know that I have an older sister named Celeste.
    02. I know that I have 2 adorable cats.
    03. I know that 18+4=22.
    04. I know that the next summer Olympics will be in 2012.
    05. I know that my house is green.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) I know that I was raise in seattle.
    2) I know where my house is located.
    3) I know that I am doing this assignment the night before it is due.
    4) I know that the universe is made up of matter.
    5) I know that I don't like school all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ebony knows that she loves her family unconditionally through sense perception, language and emotion. Her family are probably the people who know the most and have helped her the most through life. Therefore they are the closet people she has.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Annie knows that she is the tallest person in her family because she is able to use her sense perception to determine that she can see at a high level than the rest of her family. Also, she knows what "tallest" means because it is language that she has learned through her surroundings that help her define the word. She can use that knowledge and use reason to prove the fact that she is the tallest because the definition of the word "tallest" shows that what she is, infact, taller that the rest of her family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ebony knows that all "enzymes are proteins in biology" because of language, sense perception, and reason. Through hearing and seeing, her teachers have communicated the facts to her through lectures and reading. They have provided substantial evidence that has solidified her certainty that enzymes are proteins in biology.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1.I know that my full name is Meru Iole Simone
    2.I know that I am a female
    3.I know that that I was born in Michigan
    4.I know that tomorrow I will go to school
    5.I know that right now it is dark outside

    ReplyDelete
  13. Andrea know that her house is green through sense perception because she see the house and knows that it is green. This makes me think that green could be a different color to everyone. Some people might see the color green as the color i see for red but have been taught all there life that the name of that color is green. How do we know that the colors we see are the same colors that other people see?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know that...

    1. I have been dancing all my life
    2. I was born on August 22
    3. I like the summer better than the winter
    4. I am in Jamaica
    5. I will not be at a desk job in my future

    ReplyDelete
  15. Meru knows that her full name is Meru Iole Simone primarily through language. This is because it is printed on her birth certificate, and therefore printed on all her other legal documents (ie. passport, driver's license). Also she has heard her parents and other people call her by it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Peter knows that he is good at math because his emotions tell him he has accomplished something after solving a challenging problem. Teachers and other students have probably told him, through language, that he is good at math. He also knows logically, when he understands a difficult problem, that he must be good at math.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 1) I know that my name is Daniel
    2) I know that I was born in South Korea
    3) I know that I am a good violin player
    4) I kow that I love long distance running
    5) I know that I have been to Israel

    ReplyDelete
  18. I know that:
    ~I am female
    ~I have two parents and a brother
    ~I love the sun and the sea
    ~I love music

    ReplyDelete
  19. Meru knows that it is dark outside through her sight and sense perception. She has been taught the difference between light and dark and is able to distinguish between the two based on the universal definition and understanding of what "darkness" is.

    Annie knows that her dog will bark when a person walks by because of her past experience and the repetition of this action. It is assumed that her dog barks whenever a person walks by and has never not barked when this happens, so therefore Annie can be sure that her dog will bark.

    ReplyDelete
  20. 1. I know that i love ice cream.
    2. I know that my favorite color is pink.
    3. I know that I go to West Side Presbyterian Churhc in West Seattle.
    4. I know that 1,374 songs on my itunes.
    5. I know that I have a truck with pink racing stripes.


    Allie knows she like summer better than winter because of sense perception, emotion, and reason. She likes to be tan and that happens in the summer, she also can feel that she like summer better than winter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1. I know that, as of now, there are 50 white stars on the United States of America flag.
    2. I know that I am happier when the sun is out then when it is raining.
    3. I know that my favorite ice cream flavor is Starbucks Java Chip.
    4. I know that the water at Alki beach is cold.
    5. I know that at this precise moment I am wearing socks.


    Daniel knows that his name is Daniel because of sense perception. He has heard people address him as "Daniel" since he was young. He has also seen his name in print, perhaps by his family as a child, or on his birth certificate.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 1. I know how that the earth is not the only planet in the universe.
    2. I know that my godson is a trouble maker.
    3. I know that the earth rotates on its axis.
    4. I know that a right angle is 90 degrees.
    5. I know that drinking and drive is dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lizzy knows that there are 50 white stars on the American flag because of the fact that there are 50 states in the U.S. and so the stars on the flag represent the states in America.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know that:
    1) I am female.
    2) I have ten toes
    3) I love to write.
    4) I play violin.
    5) I love my family.

    Lizzy knows that her favorite flavor of ice cream is Starbucks Java Chip due to sense perception. It tastes yummy to her, and because of having tasted it as well as other ice cream flavors, her sense of taste has inclined her to decide that Starbucks's Java Chip is her favorite.

    Andrea knows that 18+4=22 because of reasoning. Through logical reasoning based on math, she was able to deduce this.

    ReplyDelete
  25. 1. I know that my parents love me.
    2. I know that my birthday is May 4th
    3. I know that my dogs name is Louie
    4. I know that I do not like math
    5. I know that I hate spinach

    ReplyDelete
  26. Julianna knows that she loves ice cream because she has tried it and she enjoyed eating it. I think that the type of knowledge would be considered sense perception because for her to know that she loves ice cream she must have the sense of taste.

    ReplyDelete