Death and resurrection are one of the Christian motif's are one of the most common, referring to the resurrection of Neo. Neo died and came back to life as he entered the Matrix. The key elements of Christian resurrection are not in this movie at all though; because Neo did not die for other humans...He died and excelled in the Matrix only for himself and his colleagues. When Jesus died on the cross he died for all of us.
Not only did Neo die and come back to life after he was shot, it is almost as if when he awoke from his cell in the matrix, his 'eyes were opened' and he learned the truth. It reminds me of when people say they've 'been saved', or seen Jesus. They believe that they have finally come to terms with their religion, and similarly their eyes have been opened to a whole new world, just as Neo's eyes were literally opened to the real world.
I agree with you, Marlys, I was thinking that "born-again" describes the scene where Neo is becoming his true self, like when Christians say they have been born-again and have re-discovered themselves through religion.
I definitely see a lot of Christian themes played out in the Matrix, but I also noticed some Buddhism that was displayed in the film. Buddhists believe that the world is just an illusion, and in to reach enlightenment, we must break free from it. Neo reached his own "enlightenment" once he was unplugged from the Matrix and realized that the world that he believed to be true was nothing but an illusion.
Another thing that I noticed about religion is that Neo wasn't really capable of taking down an agent until he believe. He needed to believe in himself and the fact that he was the one. I don't know much about religion, but it seems that believe is a huge factor in ones religion to achieve something.
Another religious theme I saw in the movie was the theme of choice. Neo could chose to see and live in the truth by taking the red pill. Christians believe that God gave humans a choice to follow Him to (what Christians believe to be) the truth.
To me, I feel that the matrix is a no religion, and the real world to be religion. One who is in the real world has accepted their "God" and now sees the truth. One who choses to live in the matrix is one who doesn't follow a religion and keeps on living in darkness. So I guess, since I am Christian and believe and have accepted Jesus Christ into my heart, I guess you could say I took the pill that took me to the real world, where I can now see the truth.
Death and resurrection are one of the Christian motif's are one of the most common, referring to the resurrection of Neo. Neo died and came back to life as he entered the Matrix. The key elements of Christian resurrection are not in this movie at all though; because Neo did not die for other humans...He died and excelled in the Matrix only for himself and his colleagues. When Jesus died on the cross he died for all of us.
ReplyDeleteNot only did Neo die and come back to life after he was shot, it is almost as if when he awoke from his cell in the matrix, his 'eyes were opened' and he learned the truth. It reminds me of when people say they've 'been saved', or seen Jesus. They believe that they have finally come to terms with their religion, and similarly their eyes have been opened to a whole new world, just as Neo's eyes were literally opened to the real world.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, Marlys, I was thinking that "born-again" describes the scene where Neo is becoming his true self, like when Christians say they have been born-again and have re-discovered themselves through religion.
ReplyDeleteI definitely see a lot of Christian themes played out in the Matrix, but I also noticed some Buddhism that was displayed in the film. Buddhists believe that the world is just an illusion, and in to reach enlightenment, we must break free from it. Neo reached his own "enlightenment" once he was unplugged from the Matrix and realized that the world that he believed to be true was nothing but an illusion.
ReplyDeleteAnother thing that I noticed about religion is that Neo wasn't really capable of taking down an agent until he believe. He needed to believe in himself and the fact that he was the one. I don't know much about religion, but it seems that believe is a huge factor in ones religion to achieve something.
ReplyDeleteAnother religious theme I saw in the movie was the theme of choice. Neo could chose to see and live in the truth by taking the red pill.
ReplyDeleteChristians believe that God gave humans a choice to follow Him to (what Christians believe to be) the truth.
To me, I feel that the matrix is a no religion, and the real world to be religion. One who is in the real world has accepted their "God" and now sees the truth. One who choses to live in the matrix is one who doesn't follow a religion and keeps on living in darkness. So I guess, since I am Christian and believe and have accepted Jesus Christ into my heart, I guess you could say I took the pill that took me to the real world, where I can now see the truth.
ReplyDelete