Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Selective Attention Test

Here is the short basketball video we watched in class today. If you were absent, please watch it and follow the instructions exactly. If you already saw it, watch it again or show it to a friend!

2 comments:

  1. This video is an excellent video. First of all, I counted seventeen passes between the players with the white shirts, when the correct answer was fifteen. Secondly, I never even noticed the gorilla until they told me to look for it the second time. It's phenomenal how one's brain can tune in what it wants to see, and tune out everything else. My mom watched it and after watching the entire video she claimed that she thought that she had seen something other then the passes during the video (she claimed she might have seen the gorilla a little bit). But, how can your brain focus on a whole lot on one concept, and "just a little bit" on something else? Is that the definition of multi-tasking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this is very difficult because you have to watch both balls at one time, then you have to sort through every ball thrown between certain people. I only noticed the gorilla because my computer was slow and paused the video. Even then it took some time for me to realize that there was a gorilla in the middle of the screen full on looking at the camera. At the end of the video they show the gorilla walking in and out, I'm amazed at how easily it went unnoticed. I think this shows that when people are focused on something they are completely unaware of what is going on around them.

    ReplyDelete